Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Foraging Master of the Universe!

So Sid is now turning into a master forager at the beginnger level stuff
I've been doing to teach him how to forage. Which include efforts like
putting things over his food (unbleached coffee filter, twigs, tied off
coffee filter ball ran through plastic link, digging treats out of soft
wood, getting treats out of wood beads, tied off dixie cups, cofee filter
attached to a measuring cup, 2 different types of foraging cages, sea
grass mat, etc etc).

So here's the problem- since he's a little professional now, the minute I
put all his foraging goodies in, he goes right to foraging and then starts
systematically hitting up every one. Within 20-30 minutes, he's done with
them all. Which is great that he's so excited about them, but now I've
gotta up the ante to try to get him to stay occupied. He does play with
toys that aren't foragers, which is good, so I don't need to play 5 or 6
hours with of foraging, but I'd like an average of 3.

So I am planning on buying him some more official foraging toys, however
they're about 20-30 bucks and I'd like to buy him several. The price is
fine, however, right now his solution to getting out treats is destroying
whatever he sees. So that would defeat the purpose if he destroyed the toy
in a day or two. So I'm going to have to teach him how to open things and
work things mechanically without destroying them. I tried giving him a
little plastic capsule that you get out of quarter machines with little
random toys in them. I put an almond in it. It took him a few days to go
for it, but finally he did. After several sepearate failed attempts at
getting to it, which involved shaking it, throwing it, etc., he finally
just ripped it apart. It was obvioussly a bit to complicated for the first
attempt. So my plan is to get another one but cut a hole under the cap so
to make it easier so that he can learn to grab hold and pull the cap off.
I am also going to go get some travel toothbrush covers to see if he can
figure out how to pop the top off of that. I am also going to get this
little slide out guy. I'm aslso going to make a few different homemade
toys that require mechanical stuff- I am planning on sticking a plastic
container cup on a kabob, put the lid on the kabob as well

As a side note, thinking about how happy he seems now with all of his toys
and stuff to do and climb and see and chew, just makes me so happy. But so
so sad that hundreds of thousands of birds like him are just sitting there
like a stuffed animal in complete and utter boredom, for their whole
lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment