Monday, June 1, 2009

Alas, I have returned.

So I'm back from a week long trip to St. Louis. I went to do some job interviews and well, mostly to skate with the Arch Rivals. April (Jack U Up) had already been there for a week prior and had gotten several practices in with them and I was jonesing to see if I would share her impressions.

I only got to hit one practice but it was scrimmage night so I was very excited to see how they would play and how I would adjust in the pack.

First off, their practice track is like skating on ice. I'm sure that after a few practices I'll get used to it, but I was so embarrassed... I splipped out and fell 7 times.... yes, 7 times. And I was wearing my mojos. Granted, they're a bit worn, but still. 3 of the falls were during warm ups! Ok and I didn't just knee fall small and pop back up. No. I would like freaking collapse all big and crazy and sloppy. S

Otherwise I did an ok job. I was definitely skating at the 50 percent.

Arch Rivals play a much different game than they do compared to teams in Florida. Their actual pack speed didn't phase me, as I prefer a faster pack, but the speed and ferocity at which they skate in the pack took me by surprise. They move around quickly and efficiently, like bees. I'm used to staying somewhat static positionally in the pack and the movements of opposing players in packs here are more predictable.

At ARRG, one minute they're here, one minute they're there. It was alot of fun watching everyone buzz around me!!! My first scrimmage I felt like it was my first scrimmage ever... I was just watching them, trying to slow the play down in my head, start seeing the patterns, the trends, the holes, etc. My the second scrimmage, I was starting to see what I needed to see. I took a few people out but ARRG seem more about containment, which is great because I'd rather contain than throw blows and risk penalties.

One thing that I also enjoyed was the amount of communication that was happening in the pack and from players watching on. While I'm sure at first I might be overwhelmed having several people, whos voices I don't yet recorgnize, yelling at me at one time, I'm looking forward to getting instruction in the midst of an action, a play, or a pack. Gives me an opportunity for on the spot improvement. I really really need that.

I'm both scared and excited to be a little fish in a big sea. I have alot of learning to do and alot of adjusting to their style of play. I'm looking forward to the challenge and seeing how far I can get on this team. Coming in as a transfer is already daunting... and it's not like I'm going to a team that has played me or knows me from leadership stuff. I'm noone and I have to pay my dues like everyone else. It's an uphill battle from here!

No comments:

Post a Comment